Social security provisions in the Constitution of Bulgaria
- Article 14
The family, motherhood and children shall enjoy the protection of the state and society.
- Article 47
(1) The raising and upbringing of children until they come of age shall be a right and obligation of their parents and shall be assisted by the state.
(2) Mothers shall be the object of special protection on the part of the state and shall be guaranteed prenatal and postnatal maternity leave, free obstetric care, alleviated working conditions and other social assistance.
(3) Children born out of wedlock shall enjoy equal rights with those born in wedlock.
(4) Abandoned children shall enjoy the protection of the state and society.
(5) The conditions and procedure for the restriction or suspension of parental rights shall be established by law.
- Article 51
(1) Citizens shall have the right to social insurance and welfare aid.
(2) The state shall provide social insurances to the temporarily unemployed in accordance with conditions and procedures established by law.
(3) The aged without relatives and unable to take care of themselves, as well as the disabled and the people in socially disadvantaged position shall receive special protection from the state and society.
- Article 52
(1) Citizens shall have the right to health insurance guaranteeing them affordable medical care, and to free medical care in accordance with conditions and procedures established by law.
(2) Citizens’ medical care shall be funded by the state budget, by employers, through private and collective health-insurance schemes, and from other sources in compliance with the law.
(3) The state shall protect the health of citizens and shall promote the development of sports and tourism.